All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionInterpreting Italians is a socio-cultural travel guide designed for people whose interest in Italy goes beyond the readymade impression or the hackneyed cliche. It is a serious effort to understand what the 'Italian temperament' actually is, how it came to be, and the impact it has had both on Italians themselves and on the outsiders who attempt to live intimately and kwledgeably among them. To this end, it offers a thoughtful interpretation of those aspects of Italian culture and history - furbizia and bella figura, the piazza and the casa, the role of the mother, the extravagance of the Baroque and the personal as well as architectural significance of the facade - that have at once reflected and compounded Italians' attitudes to foreigners and to each other by examining their approaches to love and sex, religion and politics, food and the family, language and bureaucracy, regionalism and immigration, sport and the Mafia. The book consists of eighteen concise but well-documented essays and five appendices that, in addition to an extensive reading list, provide practical suggestions to visitors relating to the preparation of menus and the selection of walking tours and excursions to sites often overlooked by the casual tourist. Interpreting Italians will be a useful aid to anyone truly curious about discovering what makes Italians tick.
- Author BiographyJeffrey Bailey is a freelance writer whose non-fiction has focused on travel pieces, literary interviews and socio-cultural essays and whose fiction includes short stories and screenplays. Raised in Southern California, his association with Italy began when he was a student at Loyola University's Rome Center for the Liberal Arts in 1971-72 -he has been a frequent and long-term visitor ever since. He has also lived in France and currently resides in Morocco where, he works as a translator and University lecturer in English.
- Author(s)Jeffrey Bailey
- PublisherTroubador Publishing
- Date of Publication28/06/2015
- SubjectTravel & Holiday Guides: General
- Place of PublicationLeicester
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight408 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine15 mm
Best-selling in Travel Guides
- AU $15.00New
- AU $12.56New
Save on Travel Guides
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $44.70
- AU $40.57Trending at AU $41.69
- AU $37.95Trending at AU $39.00
- AU $61.95Trending at AU $70.10
- AU $19.57Trending at AU $28.52
- AU $55.25Trending at AU $57.33
- AU $19.93Trending at AU $21.32
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.