All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionResearch design is fundamental to all scientific endeavors, at all levels and in all institutional settings. In many social science disciplines, however, scholars working in an interpretive-qualitative tradition get little guidance on this aspect of research from the positivist-centered training they receive. This book is an authoritative examination of the concepts and processes underlying the design of an interpretive research project. Such an approach to design starts with the recognition that researchers are inevitably embedded in the intersubjective social processes of the worlds they study. In focusing on researchers' theoretical, ontological, epistemological, and methods choices in designing research projects, Schwartz-Shea and Yaw set the stage for other volumes in the Routledge Series on Interpretive Methods. They also engage some very practical issues, such as ethics reviews and the structure of research proposals. This concise guide explores where research questions come from, criteria for evaluating research designs, how interpretive researchers engage with world-making, context, systematicity and flexibility, reflexivity and positionality, and such contemporary issues as data archiving and the researcher's body in the field.
- Author BiographyPeregrine Schwartz-Shea is Professor of Political Science at the University of Utah. Dvora Yanow is Guest Professor in the Communication, Philosophy, and Technology sub-department, Faculty of Social Sciences, at Wageningen University. Together, they are co-editors of Interpretation and Method: Empirical Research Methods and the Interpretive Turn and created and run the Methods Cafe at both the American Political Science Association and Western Political Science Association annual meetings. They are also researching Institutional Review Board (and other ethics review committee) policies and their relationships with field research.
- Author(s)Dvora Yanow,Peregrine Schwartz-Shea
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication26/01/2012
- SubjectLibrary & Information Science
- Series TitleRoutledge Series on Interpretive Methods
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note2 black & white tables, 1 black & white halftones, 2 black & white line drawings
- Weight272 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine13 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.04Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.87
- AU $32.21Trending at AU $40.50
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.21
- AU $39.30Trending at AU $40.08
- AU $34.50Trending at AU $35.13
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $27.01
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.