All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAdvances in epitaxial growth and nafabrication techlogy in the past several years have made it possible to engineer sophisticated semiconductor quantum devices with unprecedented control of their electronic and optical properties. A particularly important class of such devices is based on intersubband transitions, i.e. optical transitions between quantized electronic states in semiconductor heterostructures. Most tably, mid-infrared quantum-well infrared photodetectors (QWIPs) and quantum cascade lasers wadays offer superior performance for applications such as thermal imaging, spectroscopy, and biochemical sensing, and have recently become commercially available. Intersubband devices also have the potential for a revolutionary impact in the fields of silicon photonics, terahertz sensing, and ultra-high-bandwidth fiber-optic communications, and extensive research is ongoing to fulfill this promise. Joined by an international group of world experts, Paiella describes the basic device physics and applications of intersubband transitions, as well as the more recent and important developments in this exciting area of semiconductor natechlogy.
- Author BiographyRoberto Paiella, Ph.D., is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at Boston University. He has extensive research experience in photonics and semiconductor device physics, and has designed and developed several novel devices in the areas of all-optical switching, intersubband optoelectronics, photonic integrated circuits, and high-speed diode lasers. Dr. Paiella holds a B.S. in Electrical Engineering from Columbia University and a Ph.D. in Applied Physics from the California Institute of Technology. Prior to joining Boston University, he worked at Bell Laboratories and Lucent Technologies and in the Optoelectronics Division of Agere Systems.
- Author(s)Roberto Paiella
- PublisherMcGraw-Hill Education - Europe
- Date of Publication01/05/2006
- SubjectMechanical Engineering
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMcGraw-Hill Professional
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight741 g
- Width154 mm
- Height231 mm
- Spine31 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.65Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.10Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.93
- AU $28.76Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $50.10Trending at AU $53.01
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.