All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Carpathian Mountains legendary land of Gothic castles, eerie accents, and the depredations of vampires and werewolves. But what are the Carpathian Mountains really like? Do Western readers kw what really lurks in the dense forests blanketing the steep mountain slopes? (The most significant populations of wild animals remaining in Europe west of Russia.) Do they kw what survives in the scenic valleys and on the lofty meadows? (The old life of rural Europe.) Do they kw what diverse forms the craggy ridges have given to the many cultures and nations of Central and Eastern Europe, and to human imaginations the world over? (Too varied to summarize on a cover.) Do they kw how it feels to explore the landscape's challenging contours? (Invigorating, rewarding, exasperating, enlightening...) Enter Into the Carpathians to discover a beautiful and enchanting world of adventure, history, mystery, and more!
- Author BiographyAlan E. Sparks is the award-winning author of Dreaming of Wolves, and has written articles about wolves for International Wolf Magazine and other publications. He has bachelor and master s degrees in physics and engineering from the University of Maine and Stanford University, and has completed post-secondary courses in writing, philosophy, sociology, psychology, painting, acting, exercise physiology, and film making. He worked for over twenty years developing advanced technologies for one of the leading research and development organizations in the world (Bell Telephone Laboratories), and has recently worked overseas as an English teacher and commercial actor. An avid walker, hiker, backcountry skier, and animal tracker, Alan has lived, worked, and trekked extensively in the wilds of Central and Eastern Europe. He is a voracious reader and enjoys studying the natural and cultural histories of the places he visits. To supplement his indoor studies, he has completed courses in mountaineering with the Colorado Mountain Club, mountain ski touring/expedition leadership with the National Outdoor Leadership School, and winter ecology/animal tracking with renowned animal tracker Dr. James Halfpenny of A Naturalist s World. He currently resides alternately in Boulder, Colorado; Portland, Maine; and Krakow, Poland.
- Author(s)Alan E Sparks
- PublisherKoehler Books
- Date of Publication20/11/2015
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectTravel Writing
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintKoehler Books
- Content Note, colour illustrations
- Weight680 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine26 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.67Trending at AU $110.48
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.95
- AU $35.44Trending at AU $40.48
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $78.90
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $23.81
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $48.75
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.20
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.