All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.88
- AU $7.99Trending at AU $8.23
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.78
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.22
- AU $66.30Trending at AU $74.69
- AU $31.51Trending at AU $36.87
- AU $25.48Trending at AU $28.23
About this product
- DescriptionIntoxicants, substances that alter a person's mental and physiological state, are a continuing obsession. In their effect on the mind and body, intoxicants go to the heart of what it means to be human. In the tensions between 'free' and uninhibited consumption on the one hand, and the pressures of social regulation and personal responsibility on the other, they also illuminate the daily paradoxes, and sheer complexity, of living in modern Western societies. Yet this complexity, and the rich history that underpins it, is often lost in the current debates over public policy.Intoxication and Society sets out to supplement the contemporary discourse surrounding intoxication with a more nuanced appreciation of the history and nature of what is very much a multidimensional problem. It does so by employing an interdisciplinary framework that includes contributions from leading academics in law, sociology, anthropology, history, literature, neuroscience and social psychology. The result is a subtle historical and contemporary rereading of the social construction of intoxication that will provide a secure basis for analysis as society continues to respond to the problematic pleasures of intoxication
- Author BiographyJONATHAN HERRING is Professor of Law at the University of Oxford, UK and Fellow in Law at Exeter College, Oxford. CIARAN REGAN is Professor of Neuropharmacology at University College Dublin, Ireland and a Fellow of the UCD Conway Institute, Ireland. DARIN WEINBERG is Fellow and Director of Studies at King's College, Cambridge, UK and University Senior Lecturer in the Department of Sociology at the University of Cambridge, UK. PHILIP WITHINGTON is University Lecturer at the University of Cambridge, UK and Fellow of Christ's College, Cambridge, UK.
- PublisherPalgrave Macmillan
- Date of Publication21/12/2012
- SubjectLaw: General & Reference
- Place of PublicationBasingstoke
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content NoteXII, 320 p.
- Weight492 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Edited byCiaran Regan,Darin Weinberg,Jonathan Herring,Phil Withington
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.