All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis accessible textbook provides a clear and practical introduction to phonetics, the study of speech. Assuming prior kwledge of the topic, it introduces students to the fundamental concepts in phonetic science, and equips them with the essential skills needed for recognizing, describing and transcribing a range of speech sounds. Numerous graded exercises enable students to put these skills into practice, and the sounds introduced are clearly illustrated with examples from a variety of English accents and other languages. As well as looking at traditional articulatory description, the book introduces acoustic and other instrumental techniques for analysing speech, and covers topics such as speech and writing, the nature of transcription, hearing and speech perception, linguistic universals, and the basic concepts of phology. Providing a solid foundation in phonetics, Introducing Phonetic Science will be invaluable to all students beginning courses in linguistics, speech sciences, language pathology and language therapy. Further exercises will be available on an accompanying website.
- Author BiographyMichael Ashby is Senior Lecturer in Phonetics at University College London. John Maidment is Lecturer in Phonetics at University College London.
- Author(s)John Maidment,Michael Ashby
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication24/03/2005
- Series TitleCambridge Introductions to Language and Linguistics
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note82 figures
- Weight472 g
- Width174 mm
- Height247 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $32.27Trending at AU $36.78
- AU $16.41Trending at AU $22.77
- AU $14.93Trending at AU $21.99
- AU $27.74Trending at AU $29.97
- AU $13.01Trending at AU $16.62
- AU $14.83Trending at AU $17.90
- AU $25.99Trending at AU $32.06
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.