All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn Introducing Pottery, international potter and teacher Dan Rhode shares more than twenty years of experience in a well-organized, fully illustrated volume. Rhode's comprehensive overview of the methods, techniques, equipment, and theory allows vice and more advanced clay artists to solve problems as they develop and to keep improving. Introducing Pottery begins with a brief history of world ceramics and a practical discussion of the fundamentals of clay chemistry and composition. The guide quickly moves into step-by-step instructions for working in clay. It covers throwing and handbuilding methods, and even shows how to set up a clay studio. Introducing Pottery includes an in-depth look at glaze making, formulation, and application that goes beyond mainstream glazes and allows artists to express their own aesthetic. Readers will learn about the differences between firing techniques, and how to use them in variety of kilns. Each method is illustrated with full color photographs of professional ceramicists at work in their studios. Easy-to-read tables and charts also complement the clearly written instructions. With 200 color illustrations and inspiring writing from a master ceramicist, Introducing Pottery belongs in every new clay worker's library. As potters gain experience, this guide will continue to be a valuable source of information, giving them the tools to evaluate and learn from their experience.
- Author BiographyDan Rhode has taught ceramics since 1991. He has helped create and develop several pottery programs at schools, community centers, and universities. He was the director of an Associate of Arts degree program in sculpture and pottery at Central Carolina Community College in North Carolina. For ten years he ran his own successful pottery business, Pittsboro Pottery, in North Carolina. He now lives and works in England.
- Author(s)Dan Rhode
- PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania Press
- Date of Publication01/11/2010
- SubjectHandicrafts, Arts & Crafts
- Place of PublicationPennsylvania
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Pennsylvania Press
- Content Note200 color illus.
- Weight640 g
- Width216 mm
- Height280 mm
- Spine12 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.30
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $24.13Trending at AU $27.75
- AU $41.84Trending at AU $49.87
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.58
- AU $27.51Trending at AU $30.44
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.87
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.