All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.48
- AU $70.98Trending at AU $87.00
- AU $62.89Trending at AU $76.73
- AU $78.98Trending at AU $84.53
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $78.58
- AU $34.79Trending at AU $42.19
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $24.62
About this product
- DescriptionIntroduction to Biomes is both a standalone summary to the concept of biomes and an introduction to the 8-volume series Greenwood Guides to Biomes of the World. The volume covers: * The biome concept and brief descriptions of vegetation, climate and distribution of the terrestrial and of the range of freshwater and aquatic biomes covered in the set. * Classifying life - how scientists discuss the taxomic hierarchy and how it has been used to determine how to divide the world into regions based on living organisms. * The ecosystem concept - how this and other major concepts from ecology that are key to understanding biomes. * Terrestrial environments - the various climatic variables and climate types, and a discussion of our changing planet * Aquatic environments and life - how lifeforms and food chains make aquatic environments distinct from terrestrial biomes. Maps, photos, diagrams, drawings, and tables accompany the text, as do sidebars that highlight habitats, species, and ecological relationships. The volume includes a bibliography of accessible resources for further research.
- Author BiographySusan L. Woodward received her PhD in geography from the University of California, Los Angeles, in 1976. She taught undergraduate courses in biogeography and physical geography for 22 years at Radford University in Virginia, before retiring in 2006. Author of Biomes of Earth, published by Greenwood Press in 2003, she continues to learn and write about our natural environment. Her travels have allowed her to see first hand some of the world's major terrestrial biomes and at least glimpse marine habitats in the United States, Russia, China, Brazil, Chile, Ecuador, Peru, South Africa, and Namibia.
- Author(s)Susan L. Woodward
- Date of Publication30/11/2008
- SubjectScience & Mathematics: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitleGreenwood Guides to Biomes of the World
- Place of PublicationWestport
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintGreenwood Press
- Content NoteIllustrations, maps
- Weight567 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine18 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.