All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionTeach Your Students Both the Mathematics of Numerical Methods and the Art of Computer Programming Introduction to Computational Linear Algebra presents classroom-tested material on computational linear algebra and its application to numerical solutions of partial and ordinary differential equations. The book is designed for senior undergraduate students in mathematics and engineering as well as first-year graduate students in engineering and computational science. The text first introduces BLAS operations of types 1, 2, and 3 adapted to a scientific computer environment, specifically MATLAB(R). It next covers the basic mathematical tools needed in numerical linear algebra and discusses classical material on Gauss decompositions as well as LU and Cholesky's factorizations of matrices. The text then shows how to solve linear least squares problems, provides a detailed numerical treatment of the algebraic eigenvalue problem, and discusses (indirect) iterative methods to solve a system of linear equations. The final chapter illustrates how to solve discretized sparse systems of linear equations. Each chapter ends with exercises and computer projects.
- Author BiographyNabil Nassif is affiliated with the Department of Mathematics at the American University of Beirut, where he teaches and conducts research in mathematical modeling, numerical analysis, and scientific computing. He earned a PhD in applied mathematics from Harvard University under the supervision of Professor Garrett Birkhoff. Jocelyne Erhel is a senior research scientist and scientific leader of the Sage team at INRIA in Rennes, France. She earned a PhD from the University of Paris. Her research interests include sparse linear algebra and high performance scientific computing applied to geophysics, mainly groundwater models. Bernard Philippe was a senior research scientist at INRIA in Rennes, France, until 2015 when he retired. He earned a PhD from the University of Rennes. His research interests include matrix computing with a special emphasis on large-sized eigenvalue problems.
- Author(s)Bernard Philippe,Jocelyne Erhel,Nabil Nassif
- PublisherApple Academic Press Inc.
- Date of Publication03/07/2015
- SubjectScience & Mathematics: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationOakville
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintApple Academic Press Inc.
- Content Note9 black & white illustrations, 16 black & white tables
- Weight498 g
- Width156 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Contained items statementContains Book and Other digital
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $99.00Trending at AU $101.34
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $79.83
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.49
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $71.54
- AU $61.99Trending at AU $63.88
- AU $95.88Trending at AU $99.78
- AU $89.90Trending at AU $112.50
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.