All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFollowing the collapse of the communist states it was assumed that Marxist philosophy had collapsed with it. In Introduction to Non-Marxism, Francois Laruelle aims to recover Marxism along with its failure by asking the question What is to be done with Marxism itself? To answer, Laruelle resists the temptation to make Marxism more palatable after the death of metaphysics by transforming Marxism into a mere social science or by simply embracing with evangelical fervor the idea of communism. Instead Laruelle proposes a heretical science of Marxism that will investigate Marxism in both its failure and power so as to fashion new theoretical tools.In the course of engaging with the material of Marxism, Laruelle takes on the philosophy of Marx along with important philosophers who have extended that philosophy including Althusser, Balibar, Negri as well as the attempt at a phemelogical Marxism found in the work of Michel Henry. Through this engagement Laruelle develops with great precision the history and function of his concept of determination-in-the-last-instance. In the midst of the assumed failure of Marxism and the defections and resentment that followed, Laruelle s n-Marxism responds with the bold declaration: Do t give up on theory!
- Author BiographyFrancois Laruelle is professor emeritus at the University of Paris West Nanterre La Defence and author of many works on philosophy and his own project of non-philosophy. Anthony Paul Smith is assistant professor in the Religion Department of La Salle University and fellow at the Institute for Nature and Culture, DePaul University.
- Author(s)Francois Laruelle
- PublisherUnivocal Publishing LLC
- Date of Publication15/03/2015
- Series TitleUnivocal
- Place of PublicationMinneapolis
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUnivocal Publishing LLC
- Weight227 g
- Width127 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Translated byAnthony Paul Smith
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.73
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.43
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.75
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.