All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFor many years safety techlogy has constituted the essential instrument for the prevention of accidents as a direct result of handling new techlogy. Its awareness of the interactions prevalent in natural science causes safety techlogy to act on the basis of actual accidents, and it Ulilizes to their fullest extent any means provided by the engineering sciences. Man proceeds in a general direction towards preselVation and improvement, thus working towards the optimization of the technical design. However. a new set of basic problems presented itself the moment new large-scale techlogies were introduced into the areas of processing, energy, and traffic, thereby creating a considerable amount of ad- ditional danger potential. This also signified the end of an era when safety techlogy could be practiced chiefly on the basis of accident statistics. For ethical reasons it became necessary that a credible progsis as to the type and effect of accidents took the place, or at least supplemented, the hitherto practiced purely reactive methods. The realization that the available means of safety techlogy were longer sufficient in a highly techlogized environment spurred the demand for entirely new concepts which would eventually lead to a higher degree of safety. A decisive step had to be taken away from a purely technical approach and fOwards and all-encompassing look at accident systems, because man had become aware of the fact that accidents will always be a part of the interaction between man, techlogy, and environment.
- Author(s)Albert Kuhlmann
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication03/03/1986
- SubjectTechnology: General & Reference
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Note26 black & white illustrations, biography
- Weight815 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine24 mm
- Translated byH. Herrmann
- Edition StatementSoftcover reprint of the original 1st ed. 1986
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.51
- AU $35.82Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $23.98
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.34
- AU $57.88Trending at AU $63.53
- AU $19.95Trending at AU $20.35
- AU $16.96Trending at AU $23.43
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.