All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionRigorous and comprehensive, this textbook introduces undergraduate students to simulation methods in statistical physics. The book covers a number of topics, including the thermodynamics of magnetic and electric systems; the quantum-mechanical basis of magnetism; ferrimagnetism, antiferromagnetism, spin waves and magns; liquid crystals as a n-ideal system of techlogical relevance; and diffusion in an external potential. It also covers hot topics such as cosmic microwave background, magnetic cooling and Bose-Einstein condensation. The book provides an elementary introduction to simulation methods through algorithms in pseudocode for random walks, the 2D Ising model, and a model liquid crystal. Any formalism is kept simple and derivations are worked out in detail to ensure the material is accessible to students from subjects other than physics.
- Author BiographyJoao Paulo Casquilho is an Associate Professor at the Universidade Nova de Lisboa, Portugal. His research work includes experimental and theoretical studies in liquid crystals rheology under applied electric or magnetic fields and dynamical systems. Paulo Teixeira is an Adjunct Professor at the Instituto Superior de Engenharia de Lisboa and a research associate at the Universidade de Lisboa, Portugal. He is a theoretical soft matter physicist who has worked on colloids, elastomers, foams and liquid crystals.
- Author(s)Joao Paulo Casquilho,Paulo Ivo Cortez Teixeira
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication18/12/2014
- SubjectScience & Mathematics: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note96 b/w illus. 70 exercises
- Weight900 g
- Width189 mm
- Height246 mm
- Spine20 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $38.44Trending at AU $48.97
- AU $35.07Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $30.67Trending at AU $34.95
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $31.05
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.30
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.38
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.