All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWritten by a world-rewned theoretical physicist, Introduction to Statistical Physics, Second Edition clarifies the properties of matter collectively in terms of the physical laws governing atomic motion. This second edition expands upon the original to include many additional exercises and more pedagogically oriented discussions that fully explain the concepts and applications. The book first covers the classical ensembles of statistical mechanics and stochastic processes, including Brownian motion, probability theory, and the Fokker-Planck and Langevin equations. To illustrate the use of statistical methods beyond the theory of matter, the author discusses entropy in information theory, Brownian motion in the stock market, and the Monte Carlo method in computer simulations. The next several chapters emphasize the difference between quantum mechanics and classical mechanics-the quantum phase. Applications covered include Fermi statistics and semiconductors and Bose statistics and Bose-Einstein condensation. The book concludes with advanced topics, focusing on the Ginsburg-Landau theory of the order parameter and the special kind of quantum order found in superfluidity and superconductivity. Assuming some background kwledge of classical and quantum physics, this textbook thoroughly familiarizes advanced undergraduate students with the different aspects of statistical physics. This updated edition continues to provide the tools needed to understand and work with random processes.
- Author BiographyKerson Huang is Professor of Physics, Emeritus at MIT. Since retiring from active teaching, Dr. Huang has been engaged in biophysics research.
- Author(s)Kerson Huang
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication21/09/2009
- SubjectScience & Mathematics: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintChapman & Hall/CRC
- Content Note137 black & white illustrations, 4 black & white tables
- Weight612 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Format DetailsSewn
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.50Trending at AU $111.86
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.51
- AU $35.82Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.51
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $23.98
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.13
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.34
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.