All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIf you or someone you love has suffered a traumatic event, you kw the devastating impact it can have on your life and your spirit. Life-threatening accidents, illnesses, assaults, abusive relationships--or a tragedy like 9/11--all can leave deep emotional wounds that persist long after physical scars have healed. Survivors become invisible heroes, courageously struggling to lead rmal lives in spite of symptoms so baffling and disturbing that they sometimes doubt their own sanity. Now there is new hope for the millions affected by posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Drawing on more than thirty years' experience as a therapist and on the most recent cutting-edge research, Belleruth Naparstek presents a clinically proven program for recovery using the potent tool of guided imagery. She reveals how guided imagery goes straight to the right side of the brain, where it impacts the nverbal wiring of the nervous system itself, the key to alleviating suffering. Filled with the voices of real trauma survivors and therapists whose lives and work have been changed by this approach, Invisible Heroes offers: - New understanding of the physical, cognitive, emotional, and behavioral effects of PTSD, who is most susceptible, and why symptoms can get worse rather than better with time - Important insights into how the brain and body respond to trauma, why conventional talk therapy can actually impede recovery, and why the nverbal, image-based right brain is crucial to healing - A step-by-step program with more than twenty scripts for guided-imagery exercises tailored to the three stages of recovery, from immediate relief of anxiety attacks, flashbacks, nightmares, and insomnia, to freedom from depression and isolation, to renewed engagement with life - A helpful guide to the best of the new imagery-based therapies, and how to incorporate them into an overall recovery plan Belleruth Naparstek concludes with the inspiring words of survivors who have found their way back to peace, purpose, and a deep joy in living. Her compassionate, groundbreaking book can lead you and those in your care to the same renewal and healing. From the Hardcover edition.
- Author BiographyBelleruth Naparstek, L.I.S.W., is a psychotherapist and the creator of the bestselling Health Journeys series of guided-imagery audio programs currently used in more than 1,500 hospitals and clinics. Her programs have been distributed by the Veterans Administration, Oklahoma City disaster services, Columbine High School, and the Red Cross, among many others. A regular speaker at conferences nationwide, she is also the author of Staying Well With Guided Imagery and Your Sixth Sense. From the Hardcover edition.
- Author(s)Belleruth Naparstek
- PublisherRandom House USA Inc
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectPsychology: Professional & General
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRandom House Inc
- Weight386 g
- Width152 mm
- Height226 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Foreword byRobert C Scaer
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
- Edition Statementannotated edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $61.76
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.40
- AU $73.14Trending at AU $74.40
- AU $50.28Trending at AU $52.72
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.27
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $39.86
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $34.94
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.