Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.90
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $87.85
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.47
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.18
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.34
- AU $34.77Trending at AU $42.60
About this product
- DescriptionIreland is a country rich in archaeological sites. Ireland: An Oxford Archaeological Guide provides the ultimate handbook to this fascinating heritage. Covering the entire island of Ireland, from Antrim to Wexford, Dublin to Sligo, the book contains over 250 plans and illustrations of Ireland's major archaeological treasures and covers sites dating from the time of the first settlers in prehistoric times right up to the seventeenth century. The book opens with a useful introduction to the history of Ireland, setting the archaeological material in its wider historical context, and then takes the reader on an unparalleled journey through the major sites and places of interest. Each chapter focuses on a particular geographical region and is introduced by a useful survey of the history and geography of the region in question. This is followed by detailed descriptions of the major archaeological sites within each region, arranged alphabetically and including travel directions, historical overview of the site, and details of the site's major features and the latest available archaeological evidence. As the most comprehensive and detailed compact guide to the archaeological sites of Ireland, this new volume will prove invaluable to archaeologists, students of Irish history, and tourists alike.
- Author BiographyAndy Halpin is a curator of archaeology in the Irish Antiques Division at the Nation Museum of Ireland. Conor Newman teaches late prehistoric and early medieval archaeology at the National University of Ireland, Galway. His research interests include the archaeology of the 4th-6th century transition from pagan to Christian Ireland and later prehistoric royal centers.
- Author(s)Andy O'Halpin,Conor Newman
- PublisherOxford University Press
- Date of Publication26/10/2006
- Series TitleOxford Archaeological Guides
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOxford University Press
- Content Note252 line figures
- Weight693 g
- Width140 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine30 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.