All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book analyses travel texts aimed at the emergent Irish middle classes in the long nineteenth century. Unlike travel writing about Ireland, Irish travel writing about foreign spaces has been under-researched. Drawing on a wide range of neglected material and focusing on selected European destinations, this study draws out the distinctive features of an Irish corpus that often subverts dominant trends in Anglo-Saxon travel writing. As it charts Irish participation in a new 'mass' tourism, it shows how that participation led to heated ideological debates in Victorian and Edwardian Irish print culture. Those debates culminate in James Joyce's 'The Dead', which is here re-read through new discursive contextualizations. This book sheds new light on middle-class culture in pre-independence Ireland, and on Ireland's relation to Europe. The methodology used to define its Irish corpus also makes invative contributions to the study of travel writing.
- Author BiographyRaphael Ingelbien is Reader in Literary Studies at the University of Leuven, Belgium. He is the author of Misreading England: Poetry and Nationhood since the Second World War (2002), and has published widely on nineteenth- and twentieth-century British and Irish writing in various journals and edited collections.
- Author(s)Raphael Ingelbien
- PublisherPalgrave Macmillan
- Date of Publication14/06/2016
- SubjectLiterary Theory
- Series TitleNew Directions in Irish & Irish American Literature
- Place of PublicationBasingstoke
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPalgrave Macmillan
- Content Note1 black & white illustrations, biography
- Weight473 g
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $179.93New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.93New
- AU $93.61Used
- AU $93.61New
- AU $101.72New
- AU $81.15New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.20
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.64
- AU $38.81Trending at AU $50.36
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $74.31
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $109.06
- AU $22.66Trending at AU $23.29
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.