All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book explores the activities of early modern Irish migrants in Spain, particularly their rather surprising association with the Spanish Inquisition. Pushed from home by political, ecomic and religious instability, and attracted to Spain by the wealth and opportunities of its burgeoning ecomy and empire, the incoming Irish fell prey to the Spanish Inquisition. For the inquisitors, the Irish, as vassals of Elizabeth I, were initially viewed as a heretical threat and suffered prosecution for Protestant heresy. However, for most Irish migrants, their dual status as English vassals and loyal Catholics permitted them to adapt quickly to provide brokerage and intermediary services to the Spanish state, mediating informally between it and Protestant jurisdictions, especially England. The Irish were particularly successful in forging an association with the Inquisition to convert incoming Protestant soldiers, merchants and operatives for useful service in Catholic Spain. As both victims and agents of the Inquisition, the Irish emerge as a versatile and complex migrant group. Their activities complicate our view of early modern migration and raise questions about the role of migrant groups and their foreign networks in the core historical narratives of Ireland, Spain and England, and in the history of their connections. Irish Voices from the Spanish Inquisition throws new light on how the Inquisition worked, t only as an organ of doctrinal police, but also in its unexpected role as a cross-creedal instrument of conversion and assimilation.
- Author BiographyThomas O'Connor teaches history in Maynooth University, Ireland. He has authored several works on the Irish abroad, including a book on Irish Jansenists, and edited or co-edited four volumes of essays on the Irish in Europe. Currently co-editing two collections on Catholic colleges abroad, he is editor of Archivium Hibernicum and directs Maynoooth's Irish in Europe Project.
- Author(s)Thomas O'Connor
- PublisherPalgrave Macmillan
- Date of Publication17/02/2016
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationBasingstoke
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPalgrave Macmillan
- Content Notebiography
- Weight505 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine18 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.69Trending at AU $111.84
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.50
- AU $35.46Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.50
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.12
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.34
- AU $51.98Trending at AU $53.18
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.