Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $32.01Trending at AU $36.67
- AU $47.85Trending at AU $48.79
- AU $32.52Trending at AU $40.62
- AU $30.43Trending at AU $31.22
- AU $27.74Trending at AU $29.88
- AU $24.19Trending at AU $30.05
- AU $26.56Trending at AU $29.34
About this product
- DescriptionThis book is intended both as a resource for engineers and as an introduction to the layman about our most important metal system. After an introduction that deals with the history and refining of iron and steel, the rest of the book examines their physical properties and metallurgy. To elaborate on the importance of iron and steel, we can refer to the fact that modern civilization as we kw it would t be possible without it. Steel is essential in the machinery necessary for manufacturing that meets our needs. Even the words themselves have come to suggest strength. Phrases such as 'iron willed', 'iron fisted', 'iron clad', 'iron curtain' and 'pumping iron' imply strength. A 'steely glance' is a stern look. 'A heart of steel' refers to a very hard demear. The Russian dictator, Stalin (which means steel in Russian), chose the name to invoke fear in those under him.
- Author BiographyWilliam Hosford is Professor Emeritus of Materials Science at the University of Michigan. He is the author of numerous research publications, and the following books: The Mechanics of Crystals and Textured Polycrystals (1993), Physical Metallurgy (Materials Engineering) (2005), Materials Science: An Intermediate Text (2007), Materials for Engineers (2008), Mechanical Behavior of Materials, 2nd edition (2009), Solid Mechanics (2010), Physical Metallurgy, 2nd edition (2010), Metal Forming: Mechanics and Metallurgy, 4th edition with Robert M. Caddell (2011).
- Author(s)William F. Hosford
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication17/04/2014
- SubjectIndustrial Chemistry & Manufacturing
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note307 b/w illus. 22 tables
- Weight420 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.