All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAn intimate study of the friendship and creative dialogue between two artists, offering an in-depth understanding of their work and the upheavals of 1960s New York Irrational Judgments examines the close friendship and significant exchange of ideas between Eva Hesse (1936-1970) and Sol LeWitt (1928-2007) in New York City during the 1960s. Taking its title from LeWitt's statement Irrational judgments lead to new experience, this book examines the breakthroughs of the artists' intertwined careers, offering a new understanding of minimal, post-minimal, and conceptual art amid the era's political and social upheavals. Kirsten Swenson offers the first in-depth discussion of the early critical developments of each artist: LeWitt's turn from commercial design to fine art, and Hesse's move from expressionist painting to reliefs and sculpture. Bringing together a wealth of documents, interviews, and images-many published here for the first time-this handsome publication presents an insightful account of the artists' influence on and support for each other's pursuit of an experimental practice. Swenson's analysis expands our understanding of the artists' ideas, the importance of their work, and, more broadly, the relationship of the 1960s New York art world to gender politics, the Vietnam War, and the city itself.
- Author BiographyKirsten Swenson is assistant professor of art history, University of Massachusetts, Lowell.
- Author(s)Kirsten J. Swenson
- PublisherYale University Press
- Date of Publication03/11/2015
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Place of PublicationNew Haven
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintYale University Press
- Content Note33 color + 46 b/w illus.
- Weight817 g
- Width178 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Format DetailsCloth over boards
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $86.95New
- AU $40.99Used
- AU $112.52New
- AU $97.37Used
- AU $33.12New
- AU $30.22New
- AU $20.34New
- AU $30.69New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.02Trending at AU $37.84
- AU $39.15Trending at AU $43.21
- AU $61.00Trending at AU $62.81
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.50
- AU $28.30Trending at AU $30.11
- AU $44.93Trending at AU $46.10
- AU $18.79Trending at AU $23.85
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.