All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn his time, Isambard Kingdom Brunel was the world's greatest engineer. His list of achievements is truly breathtaking, the Thames Tunnel, the first underwater tunnel in the world, the SS Great Britain, the first propeller-driven, iron-built ocean-going ship, the Clifton Suspension Bridge, then the longest span of any bridge in the world and the Great Western Railway. History has been kind to his memory, many of his creations still exist and he is lauded by historians as truly a 'Great Briton'. In this, the first full-scale biography for almost sixty years, Colin Maggs presents a portrait of a complex, ambitious and determined genius. But the Brunel that emerges is t without flaws; he made mistakes, personal and technical, and he wasn't always right but never admitted he was wrong. Drawing on Brunel's diaries, letters and business papers we see the real Brunel, a more human figure, emerging from behind the towering structures and machines he created. Includes over eighty colour and black and white photographs and plans of Brunel's designs.
- Author BiographyColin Maggs is one of the country's foremost transport and engineering historians and has written over one hundred books as well as innumerable magazine articles. He has also made several TV and radio appearances. In 1993 he received the MBE for services to railway history. He lives in Bath.
- Author(s)Colin G. Maggs
- PublisherAmberley Publishing
- Date of Publication15/04/2016
- SubjectBiography: Science, Technology & Medical
- Place of PublicationChalford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAmberley Publishing
- Content Note85
- Weight567 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine33 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $72.55Trending at AU $75.17
- AU $32.60Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $25.61
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.78
- AU $12.94Trending at AU $16.54
- AU $26.68Trending at AU $29.53
- AU $19.92Trending at AU $27.62
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.