All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionHalal (literally, permissible or lawful ) production, trade, and standards have become essential to state-regulated Islam and to companies in contemporary Malaysia and Singapore, giving these two countries a special position in the rapidly expanding global market for halal products: in these nations state bodies certify halal products as well as spaces (shops, factories, and restaurants) and work processes, and so consumers can find state halal-certified products from Malaysia and Singapore in shops around the world. Building on ethgraphic material from Malaysia, Singapore, and Europe, this book provides an exploration of the role of halal production, trade, and standards. Fischer explains how the global markets for halal comprise divergent zones in which Islam, markets, regulatory institutions, and techscience interact and diverge. Focusing on the bigger institutional picture that frames everyday halal consumption, Fischer provides a multisited ethgraphy of the overlapping techlogies and techniques of production, trade, and standards that together warrant a product as halal, and thereby help to format the market. Exploring global halal in networks, training, laboratories, activism, companies, shops and restaurants, this book will be an essential resource to scholars and students of social science interested in the global interface zones between religion, standards, and techscience.
- Author BiographyJohan Fischer is Associate Professor in the Department of Society and Globalisation at Roskilde University.
- Author(s)Johan Fischer
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication28/12/2015
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Series TitleRoutledge Studies in Anthropology
- Series Part/Volume Number28
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note18 black & white illustrations, 18 black & white halftones
- Weight453 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $28.44Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $89.84
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $21.95
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.37
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $34.59
- AU $39.51Trending at AU $40.01
- AU $40.67Trending at AU $41.16
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.