All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIslam and America argues that the current animosity between the U.S. and Muslim world should be understood through the often-overlooked history between the two. Tracing the genealogy of this conflicted relationship from the Pilgrims to the present, author Auar Majid weaves personal stories with historical narratives to offer a critical view of both cultures and to suggest a path towards future peace. The book shows how America's current conflict with Islam is rooted in a long and complicated history of prejudice and missed opportunities, as well as a history of benevolence and fruitful exchange on both sides. While historically Americans have generally regarded Islam as a despotic religion that needed to be overcome, the military and educational establishments that Americans built through their attempts at converting Muslims became sources of national pride in the Middle East. And while Muslims have often distrusted Americans, they, too, have made significant contributions to American culture. Majid contends that kwing this history of both conflict and collaboration can help promote the mutual goodwill and appreciation that will be necessary to tackle the challenges facing Islam and America. Majid makes a provocative argument against faith-inspired prejudices and offers suggestions for the future.
- Author BiographyAnouar Majid is the author of several critically acclaimed books on Islam and the West, including A Call for Heresy and We Are All Moors. His work has been featured in the Bill Moyers Journal and on Al Jazeera television. Majid is founding director of the Center for Global Humanities and vice president for Global Affairs at the University of New England.
- Author(s)Anouar Majid
- PublisherRowman & Littlefield
- Date of Publication15/12/2011
- SubjectNon-Christian Religions
- Place of PublicationLanham, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRowman & Littlefield Publishers
- Weight363 g
- Width149 mm
- Height227 mm
- Spine17 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.69New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $75.71New
- AU $61.33Used
- AU $93.50New
- AU $101.60New
- AU $70.98New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.10
- AU $22.41Trending at AU $23.51
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $120.22
- AU $88.13Trending at AU $90.65
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.54
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $50.30
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $75.71
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.