All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe essays in this collection examine the emergence of Islam as a force in today's international political arena. Driven by a concern to understand factors leading to, and the implications of, this heightened political profile the contributors go beyond polemics and apologetics. The book critically examines some of the major events, movements and trends in the Islamic world over the past fifty years and their impact on the international scene. Reflecting the diversity and heterogeneity of the Muslim world, the book covers issues including: * the challenge of Islamism to the Muslim world * the use of Islam as a political tool on the international scene * Islam's contribution to the theory and practice of global finance * Islam's role in gender discourse * Islam's articulations in the Indian Sub-continent, Southeast Asia, Central Asia and the Arab world. Very little of the current literature deals with political Islam globally, and very few books go much beyond the Middle East and its terrorist groups. This volume fills that gap, providing a compelling cross-national, cross-cultural and interdisciplinary analysis of Islam as a potent political force.
- Author BiographyIn 2002, Nelly Lahoud completed a PhD in Islamic political thought at the Political Science Program, Research School of Social Sciences, Australian National University. In 2003, she was a post-doctoral researcher at St John's College, Cambridge. In July 2004, she became the Assistant Professor in Political Theory, at Goucher College. Anthony H. Johns has written widely on Islam. He has taught and undertaken research in Cairo, Jerusalem, China, Japan, Toronto and Oxford. He is currently Emeritus Professor and Visiting Fellow at RSPSA, SNU.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication09/05/2005
- SubjectNon-Christian Religions
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content NotePaper over boards
- Weight748 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Edited byA.H. Johns,Nelly Lahoud
- Format DetailsPaper over boards
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.65New
- AU $20.61New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $29.94New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $3.99Trending at AU $7.65
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $29.94
- AU $56.80Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.30Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $30.82
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.