All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.17
- AU $32.60Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $25.61
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.78
- AU $13.99Trending at AU $16.54
- AU $26.40Trending at AU $29.53
- AU $19.92Trending at AU $27.62
About this product
- DescriptionThe world of Islamic fundamentalism has become, more or less, a daily preoccupation, t only of journalists and scholars, but, more importantly, of almost all governments and security services across the globe. This book presents a striking analysis of how and why Islamism and Jihadism have become such potent contemporary political forces, shedding new light on a much-misunderstood situation. This revised edition offers an analytical survey of the modern and contemporary Islamist movements by linking their emergence and potency to the historical background of Muslim societies and their encounter with Western globalism. Thus, it also locates the advent of new Islamist espousals of democratic governance. It includes an entirely new section dealing with post-1997 aspects, a section on al-Qa'ida and the aftermath of 9/11, as well as a discussion of the global reach of Islamism. This comprehensive volume explores the advent of a new wave of Islamism and its manifestations in Western countries, concluding with an overall evaluation of the future prospects of Islamism and alternative Western policies ranging from direct confrontation to political dialogue.
- Author BiographyYoussef M Choueiri is Reader in Islamic Studies, School of Arts, Histories and Cultures, University of Manchester. He has authored and edited a number of books, including Islamic Fundamentalism (Continuum, 2003), Arab Nationalism (Blackwell, 2002) and A Companion to the History of the Middle East (Blackwell, 2005).
- Author(s)Youssef M. Choueiri
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication31/05/2009
- SubjectNon-Christian Religions
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintContinuum International Publishing Group Ltd.
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight495 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
- Edition Statement3rd Revised edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.