All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionOur planet hosts over a million islands. From Britain to Japan, Mauritius to Manhattan, they are small living geological, biological and cultural laboratories. Ranging from the ancient continents to the accretions of an ocean sandbank, they can lie in the sea, in a river, in a lake. Some are entire countries: Madagascar, Jamaica, Iceland. Other countries are multiple large islands: Japan, the Philippines, New Zealand. Islands can feature two or more nations like Borneo, or Hispaniola. Some islands sustain one crofter's hut; others host Earth's largest metropolises: New York, Singapore, Hong Kong. Hundreds have been torious penal colonies; a refreshing number are w wildlife refuges. Whether colossal or compact, Islands is the first global introduction to these 'lands surrounded by liquid'. Historian, linguist, philologist, island expert and long-time island-dweller Steven Roger Fischer reveals how since time began islands have been one of the primary birthplaces for plants, animals and proto-humans. He shows how these same islets and eyots of stone and sand fostered our species, Homo sapiens, who then exploited these remarkable habitats as stepping-stones to global dominion. Seeding our imagination from Atlantis to Tahiti, from Treasure Island to Jurassic Park, islands have cradled and enriched, thrilled and lured, terrified and inspired. Encompassing many aspects of geology, biology and culture, from island ecomics, warfare and politics to literature, art and psychology, Islands chronicles how these isolated mini-worlds are, ultimately, a measure of human kind itself.
- Author BiographySteven Roger Fischer FRS (NZ) is former Director of Auckland's Institute of Polynesian Languages and Literatures. He has written many books for Reaktion, including A History of Language (1999), A History of Writing (2001), A History of Reading (2003) as well as Island at the End of the World (2005). He lives on Waiheke Island, New Zealand.
- Author(s)Steven Roger Fischer
- PublisherReaktion Books
- Date of Publication31/08/2012
- SubjectGeography & Earth Science: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintReaktion Books
- Content Note10 black & white illustrations
- Weight544 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine36 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.65Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.11Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.93
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.01Trending at AU $36.09
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.