Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.69New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $75.71New
- AU $61.33Used
- AU $93.50New
- AU $101.60New
- AU $70.98New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.10
- AU $22.41Trending at AU $23.51
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $120.22
- AU $88.13Trending at AU $90.65
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.54
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $50.30
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $75.71
About this product
- DescriptionDependent originally on fishing and farming, Margate and Ramsgate benefited as limbs of the Cinque Ports during the Middle Ages, shipping grain to London and elsewhere. Growth was, however, slow until an interest in sea-bathing arose in the eighteenth century, when, to Margate's great benefit, Benjamin Beale invented the first bathing machine with a modesty hood. After that, hoys, paddle steamers and railways brought a stream of visitors that rapidly became a torrent. After the last war, easier foreign travel allowed people to bathe elsewhere, causing Margate to lose many hotels and other amenities. Mods and rockers did t reverse that trend and Manston aerodrome enjoyed some toriety with the USAF in residence. Successes included the Hovercraft service to Calais and the enlargement of Ramsgate harbour. Thanet's cliffs, beaches and sea air remain attractive today, though. This delightful book shows some of the changes.
- Author BiographyAnthony Lane is a Kentish man, living in Dover until quite recently; he has spent much of his life working along the Kent coast and on the River Thames.
- Author(s)Anthony Lane
- PublisherAmberley Publishing
- Date of Publication15/04/2013
- SubjectLocal History, Names & Genealogy
- Place of PublicationChalford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAmberley Publishing
- Content Note186, 119 colour illustrations
- Width165 mm
- Height235 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.