All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.73
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.43
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.75
About this product
- DescriptionThe Bar Lev Line along the Suez Canal was born out of the overwhelming victory of the Israel Defence Forces (IDF) in the Six Day War of 1967. Devastated by their defeat, the Egyptian army bombarded Israeli positions, causing many casualties. Accordingly, the IDF Chief of Staff, General Haim Bar-Lev, ordered the construction of a series of fortified positions named the Bar Lev Line. Each position was surrounded by barbed wire and minefields and virtually immune to strikes by artillery shells and even 500kg bombs. On 6 October 1973, Yom Kippur, the positions were manned by just 436 reservists when the Egyptian Second and Third Armies launched a massive offensive along the Suez Canal. The positions were quickly cut off from the supporting elements, and the Israeli defenders paid a high price with a casualty rate of almost 50 per cent. Despite these losses, it was t the Bar Lev Line that failed but Israel's military and political establishment, which realised Arab intentions too late.
- Author BiographySimon Dunstan is a well-established author, film-maker and photographer in the field of military history, with several titles already published with Osprey. He specializes in armored warfare, and has written on this subject for two decades. His books have covered topics such as helicopter and armoured warfare in Vietnam, the Challenger main battle tank, the British Guards and armored warfare in Korea. The author lives in London, UK.
- Author(s)Simon Dunstan
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication04/11/2008
- SubjectRegional History
- Series TitleFortress
- Series Part/Volume NumberNo. 79
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOsprey Publishing
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight257 g
- Width184 mm
- Height248 mm
- Spine5 mm
- Illustrator(s)Steve Noon
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.