All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionColonialism has three foundational concerns - violence, territory, and population control - all of which rest on racialist discourse and practice. Placing the Zionist project in Israel/Palestine within the context of settler colonialism reveals strategies and goals behind the region's rules of governance that have included violence, repressive state laws and racialized forms of surveillance. In Israel's Colonial Project in Palestine: Brutal Pursuit, Elia Zureik revisits and reworks fundamental ideas that informed his first work on colonialism and Palestine three decades ago. Focusing on the means of control that are at the centre of Israel's actions toward Palestine, this book applies Michel Foucault's work on biopolitics to colonialism and to the situation in Israel/Palestine in particular. It reveals how racism plays a central role in colonialism and biopolitics, and how surveillance, in all its forms, becomes the indispensable tool of governance. It goes on to analyse territoriality in light of biopolitics, with the dispossession of indigeus people and population transfer advancing the state's agenda and justified as in the interests of national security. The book incorporates sociological, historical and postcolonial studies into an informed and original examination of the Zionist project in Palestine, from the establishment of Israel through to the actions and decisions of the present-day Israeli government. Providing new perspectives on settler colonialism informed by Foucault's theory, and with particular focus on the role played by state surveillance in controlling the Palestinian population, this book is a valuable resource for students and scholars interested in the Arab-Israeli Conflict and Colonialism.
- Author BiographyElia Zureik is head of the department of sociology and anthropology at the Doha Institute for Graduate Studies in Qatar, and is professor emeritus of sociology at Queen's University in Ontario, where he is the holder of the Research Excellence Award.
- Author(s)Elia Zureik
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication01/07/2013
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Series TitleRoutledge Studies on the Arab-Israeli Conflict
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note1 black & white illustrations, 3 black & white tables, 1 black & white line drawings
- Weight448 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine18 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $38.44Trending at AU $48.97
- AU $35.07Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $27.99Trending at AU $34.95
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $31.05
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.30
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.35
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.