All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionJesus' words of indictment and judgment in the Gospel according to Matthew have fueled centuries of Christian anti-Judaism and the horrors ofthe twentieth-century Holocaust. The solemn parables and prouncements ofjudgment in chapters 22?23 come to a climax in Jesus' ironic command that the scribes and Pharisees fill up the measure of their ancestors, bringing upon their generation the judgment of God (Matt. 23:32-36). But what did those words originally mean within Matthew's narrative? Carefully distinguishing what can be kwn from what may only be conjectured, David L. Turner examines how Matthew has taken up Deuteromic themes of prophetic rejection and judgment and woven them throughout the Gospel, particularly in Matthew 23. Turner argues that the Gospel author was engaged in a heated intramural dispute with other Jewish groups and that the terrible legacy of Christian anti-Jewish violence results, in part, from a gross misunderstanding of Matthew's original context and purpose-on the part of generations who failed to recognize the author's worldview and allusions.
- Author BiographyDavid L. Turner is professor of New Testament at Grand Rapids Theological Seminary and the author of The Gospel and Letters of John (forthcoming) and two commentaries on Matthew (2005; 2008). He holds a PhD from Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion.
- Author(s)David L. Turner
- PublisherFortress Press,U.S.
- Date of Publication27/07/2015
- SubjectChristianity: Bibles & Liturgy
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintFortress Press,U.S.
- Weight426 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine22 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.65New
- AU $93.38Used
- AU $93.38New
- AU $101.47New
- AU $80.95New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.00
- AU $87.90Trending at AU $90.54
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.44
- AU $39.02Trending at AU $50.24
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $74.12
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.80
- AU $21.33Trending at AU $23.60
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.