All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn early January 1904, a reporter from the St. Louis Post-Dispatch traveled to Oklahoma City to meet with a washed-up relic of the Wild West: Edward Capehart O'Kelley. On the dusty streets of the former Indian Territory, O'Kelley struggled to stay sober and describe his childhood friend, the outlaw Jesse James, to the reporter. O'Kelley once had the opportunity to join his gang, but declined in order to set out for a career as lawman in Colorado, where his violent tactics earned him the reputation of a man with a quick temper, a ready gun, and a penchant for bending the law to suit his needs. It was there, in Creede, Colorado, that O'Kelley met-and murdered-Robert Ford. Ford was kwn all across the frontier as the assassin of Jesse James. When they met in Colorado, O'Kelley viewed Ford as the worst kind of vermin and was egged on by local miners to avenge his old friend Jesse James's death. Imprisoned for the murder, O'Kelley emerged ten years later a broken man, entering a modern world of telephones and streetcars-a world where people longer cared about his Wild West exploits. It was there, on the whiskey-drenched backstreets of Oklahoma City, that the Post-Dispatch reporter found him, and where on the night before their last meeting, a drunken O'Kelley was killed in a prolonged street shootout with a brave policeman. It Ends Here by Joe Johnston draws on the reporter's accounts to tell O'Kelley's tragic story. The third in the Missouri Vigilantes series, the book unravels a circular tale of frontier vigilantism and ponders America's progress beyond it. An engaging narrative touching on bank robberies, Butch Cassidy, and elaborate tales of frontier justice, this book will delight true crime enthusiasts and students of history alike.
- Author BiographyJoe Johnston is a writer, artist, and songwriter, whose articles have appeared widely in history magazines. He is a native of Missouri and the author of The Mack Marsden Murder Mystery: Vigilantism or Justice? and Necessary Evil: Settling Missouri with a Rope and Gun, both published by the Missouri History Museum Press.
- Author(s)Joe Johnston
- PublisherMissouri Historical Society Press
- Date of Publication20/11/2015
- SubjectRegional History
- Series TitleMHM - Missouri Vigilantes
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMissouri Historical Society Press
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight431 g
- Width150 mm
- Height226 mm
- Spine23 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.67Trending at AU $96.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.42Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.