All listings for this product
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $79.99Trending at AU $86.19
- AU $52.60Trending at AU $60.94
- AU $72.44Trending at AU $79.02
- AU $36.85Trending at AU $50.68
- AU $43.80Trending at AU $49.26
- AU $12.24Trending at AU $21.04
- AU $13.04Trending at AU $15.66
About this product
- DescriptionJessica Lee Richardson's debut collection It Had Been Planned and There Were Guides teems with double magic-families of spiders, monsters in triplicate, and panels of bleacher-sitting grandfathers (who live in a diaphragm!) cohabitate with a starker, more familiar kind of strange in a hyper real and living tapestry of teenage porn stars, lovelorn factory workers, and art world auctioneers. From a woman who awakes from a short kidnapping with an unquenchable need for risk to a concrete boat ride gone off the rails, from Los Angeles to the Bronx, from the Midwest to North Korea, these stories explore the absurd in real spaces and the real in absurd spaces, seeking a way into something else entirely. Here environments participate in agency, and voice compels movement forward, through, and in. Richly patterned language refuses singularity and the finger trap of the binary, seeking permeability in its reflection, a soft net to catch collective echoes. The collection begins and ends with stories that literalize descent and ascent, bookending the mirrored shape of the book's arrangement as a vision of an inverted arc. The shape of story is literalized. We slide down from a mountaintop all the way to the inside of a womb and back, slipping on slopes unmarked by signs, catching stunning glimpses along the way. The journey along the track of desire might be frightening if it weren't for all the water, if it weren't for the bounce of the ride.
- Author BiographyJessica Lee Richardson was born in New Jersey, began her career as a performer living in Brooklyn, and earned her MFA in 2013 from the University of Alabama. Her writing has appeared in the Indiana Review, Caketrain, and Joyland, and has been recognized with awards from the National Society of Arts and Letters and the F. Scott and Zelda Fitzgerald Museum.
- Author(s)Jessica L. Richardson
- PublisherThe University of Alabama Press
- Date of Publication30/09/2015
- SubjectShort Stories & Fiction Anthologies
- Place of PublicationNormal
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintFiction Collective Two
- Weight525 g
- Width147 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine18 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.