All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAn essential read, written by a leading expert, for anyone who wants to understand young people's use of social media What is new about how teenagers communicate through services such as Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram? Do social media affect the quality of teens' lives? In this eye-opening book, youth culture and techlogy expert danah boyd uncovers some of the major myths regarding teens' use of social media. She explores tropes about identity, privacy, safety, danger, and bullying. Ultimately, boyd argues that society fails young people when paternalism and protectionism hinder teenagers' ability to become informed, thoughtful, and engaged citizens through their online interactions. Yet despite an environment of rampant fear-mongering, boyd finds that teens often find ways to engage and to develop a sense of identity. Boyd's conclusions are essential reading t only for parents, teachers, and others who work with teens but also for anyone interested in the impact of emerging techlogies on society, culture, and commerce in years to come. Offering insights gleaned from more than a decade of original fieldwork interviewing teenagers across the United States, boyd concludes reassuringly that the kids are all right. At the same time, she ackwledges that coming to terms with life in a networked era is t easy or obvious. In a techlogically mediated world, life is bound to be complicated.
- Author Biographydanah boyd is Principal Researcher at Microsoft Research, Research Assistant Professor at New York University, and Fellow at Harvard University's Berkman Center for Internet and Society. She lives in New York City.
- Author(s)danah boyd
- PublisherYale University Press
- Date of Publication18/02/2014
- SubjectPopular Culture & Media: General Interest
- Place of PublicationNew Haven
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintYale University Press
- Weight467 g
- Width140 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine26 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.87
- AU $30.28Trending at AU $30.98
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $32.21Trending at AU $40.50
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.21
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $34.80
- AU $39.30Trending at AU $40.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.