All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis is the first intellectual biography of John Edward Lloyd (1861 - 1947), widely regarded as the founder of the modern academic study of Welsh history. Indeed, the compliment that pleased him most was that he had 'created Welsh history'. Published to mark the centenary of Lloyd's most important book, A History of Wales from the Earliest Times to the Edwardian Conquest (1911), the study reassesses Lloyd's significance by setting his work in its multiple contexts. Part One gives an account of his life, with particular emphasis on his upbringing, education and subsequent career as a historian, viewed against the background both of efforts to give expression to Welsh nationhood through educational institutions and of wider developments in the professionalization of historical scholarship. In Part Two the focus shifts from the biographical to the thematic and examines why Lloyd privileged the early and medieval Welsh past and how he depicted this in his 1911 History. These chapters investigate key themes in Lloyd's interpretation with reference t only to previous accounts of Welsh history but also to the broader intellectual and scholarly context of his own time.Through its reappraisal of Lloyd the book provides a case study of how the past of a small, stateless nation was reconfigured, at a time of self-conscious national revival, through deploying modern cans of scholarship that served to legitimize a new narrative of national origins. It thus offers a fresh and distinctive perspective on issues of broad significance in modern European historiography and intellectual history.
- Author BiographyHuw Pryce is Professor of Welsh History at Bangor University.
- Author(s)Huw Pryce
- PublisherUniversity of Wales Press
- Date of Publication31/05/2011
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationWales
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintUniversity of Wales Press
- Content NoteIllustrations, ports.
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine38 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.64Trending at AU $111.11
- AU $35.06Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $78.04
- AU $18.76Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
- AU $51.96Trending at AU $53.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.