All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionJoel S. Baden addresses the relationship between the J and E documents in the Pentateuch. He demonstrates that, contrary to the standard claims of classical source criticism, the J and E sources were never combined into a JE document. Rather, these two sources were combined with each other at the same time that they were combined with the P and D documents, in one process of redaction.After investigating the history of scholarly arguments regarding the existence and combination of J and E, the author goes on to argue in detail for the dependence of D on the separate, independent narratives of J and, primarily, E. Significant attention is paid to the issue of redaction. In particular, Baden critiques the manner in which passages have traditionally been attributed to redactors, and argues for a more restrictive concept of the redactor and his work. It is further argued that the literary evidence in the Pentateuch provides for the existence of only a single redactor, to whom the compilation of all four sources of the Pentateuch is to be attributed.In the course of this study, a number of important questions regarding the composition of the Pentateuch are addressed: the existence of E, the relationship between D and the narratives of Genesis-Numbers, and the nature of the redactor. In the end, this study stands as both a critique of traditional documentary analysis of the Pentateuch and a defense of its fundamental claims.
- Author BiographyJoel S. Baden, Born 1977; 2002 M.A. in Northwest Semitics from the University of Chicago; 2007 PhD in Hebrew Bible from Harvard University; currently Assistant Professor of Old Testament at the Yale Divinity School.
- Author(s)Associate Professor of Old Testament Joel S Baden
- PublisherMohr Siebeck
- Date of Publication01/12/2009
- SubjectChristianity: General
- Series TitleForschungen Zum Alten Testament
- Series Part/Volume Number68
- Country of PublicationGermany
- ImprintMohr Siebeck
- Weight664 g
- Format DetailsSewn,Cloth over boards
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.68Trending at AU $111.07
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.34
- AU $35.44Trending at AU $40.70
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.33
- AU $19.36Trending at AU $23.93
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.01
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.