All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe definitive study of the images made by a pioneer journalist and photographer who passionately advocated for America's urban poor Danish-born Jacob A. Riis (1849-1914) found success in America as a reporter for the New York Tribune, first documenting crime and later turning his eye to housing reform. As tenement living conditions became unbearable in the wake of massive immigration, Riis and his camera captured some of the earliest, most powerful images of American urban poverty. This important publication is the first comprehensive study and complete catalogue of Riis's world-famous images, and places him at the forefront of early-20th-century social reform photography. It is the culmination of more than two decades of research on Riis, assembling materials from five repositories (the Riis Collection at the Museum of the City of New York, the Library of Congress, the New-York Historical Society, the New York Public Library, and the Museum of South West Jutland, Denmark) as well as previously unpublished photographs and tes. In this handsome volume, Bonnie Yochelson proposes a vel thesis-that Riis was a radical publicist who utilized photographs to enhance his arguments, but had great skill or ambition as a photographer. She also provides important context for understanding how Riis's work would be viewed in turn-of-the-century New York, whether presented in lantern slide lectures or newspapers.
- Author BiographyBonnie Yochelson is former curator of prints and photographs at the Museum of the City of New York, and an art historian specializing in photography.
- Author(s)Bonnie Yochelson
- PublisherYale University Press
- Date of Publication02/10/2015
- Place of PublicationNew Haven
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintYale University Press
- Content Note25 color, 375 duotone + 210 b/w illus.
- Weight2043 g
- Width305 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine30 mm
- Format DetailsCloth over boards
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $126.09New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.71New
- AU $93.44Used
- AU $101.53New
- AU $78.95New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.05
- AU $87.90Trending at AU $89.13
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.49
- AU $38.81Trending at AU $50.27
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $74.17
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.86
- AU $22.63Trending at AU $23.24
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.