All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.64Trending at AU $96.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.06Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $18.95Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
About this product
- DescriptionBeautiful, translucent and indestructible, jade has a mystique that's captivated people since Neolithic times. Stan Leaming, Canada's leading jade geologist, was fascinated by this unusual gem; he is credited with pioneering the emergence of the jade industry in British Columbia. Leaming shares his unique insight into the science and magic of jade in this passionate exploration of the green stone's development from prehistoric tool to objet d'art. The reader is invited along with Leaming, a fascinating subject in himself, on a trip around the world as he hunts for the stone of heaven throughout BC and Canada, the United States, Mexico, Europe, Siberia, China, and even Down Under, where black jade is found. This book examines jade's appeal as a global industry, a divine inspiration, a medium for artistic expression and even as a precipitator of some bizarre crimes. Rockhounds casual and serious will appreciate this comprehensive celebration of jade, enhanced with maps and photographs. The 16-page colour section includes photos of jade art by Lyle Sopel, Deborah Wilson and other incredible sculptors.
- Author BiographyStanley (Stan) Fraser Leaming was born in Minnedosa, Manitoba, in 1917 and moved to Brandon, Manitoba, at a young age. There, Stan attended prospecting school in 1939. At 23 he entered the RCAF, and he was discharged from Second World War duties in 1945. He received his MA in geology from University of Toronto in 1948. Stan is a leading authority on jade. He has travelled extensively in the world to collect and study jade, first working as a field geologist for 12 years, from Labrador to the Yukon, prior to joining the Geological Survey of Canada in Vancouver in 1960. Stan remained with the GSC until 1981, when he retired to Summerland, BC. His scientific work Jade in Canada laid the groundwork for the jade industry of BC.
- Author(s)Rick Hudson,Stan Leaming
- PublisherHeritage House Publishing Co Ltd
- Date of Publication01/04/2005
- SubjectPopular Science
- Place of PublicationBritish Columbia
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintHeritage House Publishing Co Ltd
- Content Noteb/w & colour photos
- Weight302 g
- Width139 mm
- Height215 mm
- Spine13 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.