All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.73
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.43
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.75
About this product
- DescriptionWhile Mahatma Gandhi is hailed across the world as a champion of humanity and nviolent struggle, the struggles of the woman who accompanied him closely all his life, his wife Kasturba Gandhi, remains untold. This playtext, Jagadamba, rights that wrong with a long mologue in which Kasturba speaks from her heart about the different facets of her life an often difficult marriage, the great man's selfless immersion in politics and its consequences for their family, their troubled sons, and, most importantly, her own desires and hopes. Originally conceived in the Marathi language for actress Rohini Hattangadi, who received an Academy Award mination for her portrayal of Kasturba in Richard Attenborough's classic biopic Gandhi, this play charts the journey of a simple girl who went on to become Jagadamba, or the Universal Mother, as the wife of the Mahatma. As Shanta Ghokale writes in her introduction: Wives of great men have hard lives, often lived in negation of values they hold most dear. Jagadamba is the personal feelings of a devoted wife who had held her own in a life made mentally, physically, and morally turbulent by her husband's ideas and political work.
- Author BiographyRamdas Bhatkal has published books in English, Hindi, and Marathi. Author of Mohanmaya, he is also an Indian classical vocalist. Yashodhara Deshpande Maitra taught natural sciences at the National Institute for the Deaf in Rochester, New York. The translator of several major works of fiction and non-fiction from Marathi into English, she has also performed as Kasturba in recent productions of Jagadamba.
- Author(s)Ramdas Bhatkal
- PublisherSeagull Books London Ltd
- Date of Publication29/11/2016
- SubjectDrama Texts, Plays & Screenplays
- Place of PublicationGreenford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintSeagull Books London Ltd
- Weight159 g
- Width127 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Translated byYashodhara Deshpande Maitra
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.