All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionLord Jagannatha of Puri, one of the most famous Hindu deities, was the rashtradevata of Orissa in the medieval period and became a symbol of Oriya identity in modern times. The erstwhile imperial Gajapati Kings of Orissa and their successors, the Khurda Rajas, enjoyed special privileges in the cult as adyasevaka or 'first servant' of Jagannatha and even controlled it to a certain extent. The present work consists of a comprehensive palm-leaf manuscript combining several originally separate Oriya texts of the fifteenth/sixteenth to eighteenth centuries, compiled by the Duela Karanas, the temple scribes of Puri, in the late eighteenth or the early nineteenth century. They provide first hand and most authoritative information on land endowments to religious shrines throughout the medieval Orrisan period, on rituals and duties or priests and temple servitors and, most important, on legendary and various historical and cultural events during the reign of the Gajapatis. The present compendium is a unique source for the study of the cult of Jagannatha and the culture and history of pre-colinial Orissa. Coming to light for the first time, it may be regarded as the most important study of its genre after the publication of Puri's temple chronicle, the Madala Panji, by A B Mohanty in 1940.
- Author BiographyGaganendra Nath Dash retired as a professor from the departments of Oriya and linguistics from Behrampur University. Ranjan Kumar Das is currenlty working as a project engineer (senior linguist) of the Applied Artificial Intelligence Group, Centre for the Development of Advance Computer, Pune.
- Author(s)Gaganendranath Dash,Ranjan Kumar Das
- PublisherManohar Publishers and Distributors
- Date of Publication01/01/2010
- SubjectHistory: World & General
- Place of PublicationNew Delhi
- Country of PublicationIndia
- ImprintManohar Publishers and Distributors
- Width160 mm
- Height250 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $189.94New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.27New
- AU $93.07Used
- AU $93.07New
- AU $101.13New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $73.88New
- AU $61.04Used
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $81.72
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.18
- AU $39.00Trending at AU $50.07
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $73.88
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.43
- AU $21.33Trending at AU $23.52
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.