All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFor many readers and scholars, James Baldwin occupies so central a place in black gay literary history that he has become a key representative for queer creative culture. James Baldwin and the Queer Imagination seeks to complicate this view by providing a sustained investigation of the queer implications of Baldwin's writing while addressing the problematic appropriation of Baldwin as the standard-bearer of queer literary history and African American writing. Author Matt Brim argues that Baldwin's queer imagination is highly complex and anything but obvious, that queerness emerges unevenly in Baldwin's fiction, in ways that can be as restrictive as they are revelatory, and that his work exemplifies what the author terms an unqueer undercurrent present in queer creative thought. In demonstrating Baldwin's ambiguity, Brim also provides a critique of queerness from within queer studies.
- Author BiographyMatt Brim is Assistant Professor of Queer Studies in the English department at the College of Staten Island, CUNY, USA.
- Author(s)Matt Brim
- PublisherThe University of Michigan Press
- Date of Publication30/10/2014
- SubjectLiterary Theory
- Place of PublicationAnn Arbor
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintThe University of Michigan Press
- Weight386 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine23 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.07New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $73.99New
- AU $61.14Used
- AU $93.21New
- AU $101.29New
- AU $70.76New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $81.85
- AU $22.09Trending at AU $23.44
- AU $87.99Trending at AU $90.37
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.30
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $50.15
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $73.99
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.65
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.