All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFour years after the 3.11 disaster in Japan, this acclaimed collection of ethgraphies in English on the Japanese communities affected by the giant Tohoku earthquake, tsunami and nuclear disasters continues to be the only one of its kind. With a new preface offering an update on the affected communities, this volume brings together studies by experienced researchers of Japan from field sites around the disaster zone. The contributors present the survivors' struggles in their own words: from enduring life in shelters and temporary housing, through re-creating the fishing industry, to rebuilding life-ways and relationships bruised by bereavement. They contrast the sudden brutal loss of life from the tsunami with the protracted anxiety about exposure to radiation and study the battle to protect children, family and a way of life from the effects of destruction, displacement and discrimination. The local communities' encounters with volunteers and journalists who poured into Tohoku after the disaster and the campaign to win compensation from the state and nuclear industry are also explored. This volume offers insights into the social fabric of rural communities in rth-eastern Japan and suggests how the human response to disaster may be improved in the future.
- Author BiographyTom Gill is Professor of Social Anthropology at the Faculty of International Studies, Meiji Gakuin University in Yokohama. Brigitte Steger is Senior Lecturer in Modern Japanese Studies at the University of Cambridge and Fellow of Downing College. David H. Slater is Professor in the Faculty of Liberal Arts at Sophia University in Tokyo and Director of the Institute of Comparative Culture there.
- PublisherPeter Lang Ltd
- Date of Publication28/02/2015
- SubjectCultural Studies
- Place of PublicationWitney
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- First Published2015
- ImprintPeter Lang Ltd
- Content Note6, Illustrations, b-w / Tables
- Weight640 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Edited byBrigitte Steger,David H. Slater,Tom Gill
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.17
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $25.61
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.78
- AU $13.99Trending at AU $16.54
- AU $26.40Trending at AU $29.53
- AU $19.92Trending at AU $27.62
- AU $23.08Trending at AU $29.68
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.