All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAn analysis of the performance of Japan's ecomic and political institutions from late 1970s to 2007. The authors explain how Japan's flawed response to new ecomic, political, and techlogical forces ushered in a lost decade and a half of ecomic development from 1990. Impressive ecomic performance in the 1980s masked an 'accident waiting to happen' - the collapse in equity and real estate prices in 1990-1. Japan's iron triangle of politicians, bureaucrats, and client industries, combined with a flawed financial liberalization process and policy errors by the Bank of Japan and the Ministry of Finance, brought Japan to an abyss of deflation, recession, and insolvency by the late 1990s. The turning point was the election of Koizumi as prime minister in 2001. The book explores Koizumi's ecomic reform, new developments in socioecomic conditions, the politics and ecomy after Koizumi, and the ecomic and political challenges facing Japan in the new century.
- Author BiographyThomas F. Cargill is Professor of Economics at the University of Nevada, Reno. He studies financial and central bank policy in Japan and the United States. Professor Cargill is co-author of The Political Economy of Japanese Monetary Policy (1997), Financial Policy and Central Banking in Japan (2001), and Postal Savings and Fiscal Investment in Japan (2003). He has published in the Journal of Comparative Economics, the Journal of Economic History, the Journal of Political Economy, and Monetary and Economic Studies. Takayuki Sakamoto is Assistant Professor of Political Science at Southern Methodist University, Dallas, Texas. He studies comparative political economy of industrialized democracies. Professor Sakamoto is the author of Economic Policy and Performance in Industrial Democracies (forthcoming) and Building Policy Legitimacy in Japan (1999). His articles have appeared in such journals as Comparative Political Studies, European Studies, the European Journal of Political Research, and Party Politics.
- Author(s)Takayuki Sakamoto,Thomas F. Cargill
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication25/08/2008
- SubjectEconomics: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitleThe World Since 1980
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations, black & white tables, figures
- Weight440 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.14Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $50.28Trending at AU $53.01
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.50
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.15Trending at AU $35.14
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.