All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.72
- AU $70.98Trending at AU $87.50
- AU $62.89Trending at AU $77.17
- AU $78.98Trending at AU $85.01
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.03
- AU $34.79Trending at AU $42.43
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $24.76
About this product
- DescriptionThis expert guide to Japanese architecture is of ermous historical importance to the understanding of Japanese design and culture. Pioneering Japalogist A. L. Sadler's invaluable study of Japanese architecture first appeared in 1941. Considered a classic in its field, unequalled in clarity and insight, Japanese Architecture A Short History is a lucid and uncomplicated introduction to this important aspect of Japanese culture. Beginning with the earliest evidences from prehistory and ending with the Edo period, when Japan attained stature as a modern state, Japanese Architecture is as relevant today as it was in 1941. The book includes an overview of Japanese domestic architecture as it evolved through successive periods of history and perfected the forms so widely admired in the West. Of particular importance in this respect are the four concluding chapters, in which the distinctive features of the Japanese house are presented in clear detail. The architecture book also contains excellent illustrations, which show details of planning and construction.
- Author BiographyA. L. Sadler was Professor Oriental Studies at the University of Sydney for 26 years, as well as Professor of Japanese at the Royal Military College of Australia. After retiring from academia, he returned to his native England. He died in 1971. Among his works are Shogun: The Life of Tokugawa Ieyasu, A Short History of Japanese Architecture, Japanese Tea Ceremony: Cha-no-yu, A Short History of Japan, The Ten Foot Square Hut and Tales of the Heike.
- Author(s)A. L. Sadler,Mira Locher
- PublisherTuttle Publishing
- Date of Publication03/11/2016
- Place of PublicationBoston
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintTuttle Publishing
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight272 g
- Width130 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine18 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.