All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book offers practical ways to create five classic styles: Stroll Garden, Tea Garden, Courtyard Garden, Dry Garden and Pond Garden. The essential elements are explored in detail, with history and descriptions, all shown in more than 420 lavish plans, photographs and illustrations. It is an inspiring and accessible guide to designing and creating a Japanese garden, written by a leading authority on the subject. The five classic Japanese garden styles are described - tea gardens, stroll gardens, dry gardens, pond gardens and courtyard gardens. The key elements of rocks, gravel, plants and water, and their symbolic meanings and essential placing are translated for the modern gardener. It includes a history of Japanese gardens, the philosophy of the early designers, the influence of religion and spirituality, and the inspiration provided by early Chinese gardens. With 420 beautiful colour photographs and illustrations, this is a visual feast for the imagination as well as a practical introduction. This beautiful book provides a fascinating introduction to Japanese garden styles and explains their long history and development. Such gardens have a highly stylized and tightly controlled appearance. They are increasingly popular in the West, with their spiritual space, calm planting schemes, careful placement of rocks, raked gravel, considered pathways and elements of water. The five classic garden styles are discussed in detail and a plan is provided for each one. More practical considerations follow, guiding the reader to choose appropriate materials, decorative features and plants.
- Author BiographyCharles Chesshire is a highly regarded garden designer, consultant and writer. He has designed gardens in the United States and Britain. Fascinated by the connection of Zen meditation to the philosophy and design of Japanese gardens, he has studied in Japan and toured the country on a number of occasions. He has built his own interpretation of a Japanese tea garden. Charles lectures widely on a number of subjects, including clematis, roses, garden design and Japanese gardens.
- Author(s)Charles Chesshire
- PublisherAnness Publishing
- Date of Publication15/11/2011
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Noteover 420 colour photographs
- Weight816 g
- Width228 mm
- Height297 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Format DetailsWith flaps
Most relevant reviews
- 980599024 Nov, 2015by
Good guide and good value.
Practical guide for creating a Japanese style garden.Informative,as far as the different styles go. Easy to use and understand.Great pictures.
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $16.08Trending at AU $23.14
- AU $69.60Trending at AU $90.30
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $24.13Trending at AU $27.75
- AU $41.84Trending at AU $49.87
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.58
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.87
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.