All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionNothing reflects the beauty of life as much as Japanese theater. It is here that reality is held suspended and emptiness can fill the mind through words, music, dance, and mysticism. A.L. Sadler translates the mysteries of Noh, Kyogen, and Kabuki in his groundbreaking book, Japanese Plays . A seminal classic in its time, it provides a cross section of Japanese theater that gives the reader a sampler of its beauty and power. The power of Noh is in its ability to create an iconic world that represents the attributes that the Japanese hold in highest esteem: family, patriotism, and hor. Kyogen plays provide comic relief often times performed between the serious and stoic Noh plays. Similarly, Sadler's translated Kyogen pieces are layered between the Noh and the Kabuki plays. The Kabuki plays were the theater of the common people of Japan. The course of time has given them the patina of folk art making them precious cultural relics of Japan. Sadler selected these pieces for translation because of their lighter subject matter and relatively upbeat endings - ideal for a western readership. More linear in their telling and pedestrian in the lessons learned, these plays show the difficulties of being in love when a society is bent on conformity and paternal rule.
- Author BiographyA.L. Sadler (1882-1970) was Professor of Oriental Studies at the University of Sydney for 26 years, as well as Professor of Japanese at the Royal Military College of Australia. Among his other works are Shogun: The life of Tokugawa Ieyasu, Japanese Tea Ceremony: Cha-no-ya, and Japanese Architecture: A Short History.
- Author(s)A. L. Sadler,Paul S. Atkins
- PublisherTuttle Shokai Inc
- Date of Publication12/02/2010
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Place of PublicationKanagawa
- Country of PublicationJapan
- ImprintTuttle Shokai Inc
- Content Note13 Black and White Illustrations
- Weight304 g
- Width130 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine20 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $126.09New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.71New
- AU $93.44Used
- AU $101.53New
- AU $78.95New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.05
- AU $87.90Trending at AU $89.13
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.49
- AU $38.81Trending at AU $50.27
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $74.17
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.86
- AU $21.23Trending at AU $23.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.