All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionModern Japanese quilting blends Eastern and Western techniques to create quilts of extraordinary style and beauty. Using designs borrowed from a rich decorative arts heritage, and often incorporating traditional kimo fabrics, Japanese quilters have developed a distinctive style based on unusual motifs and striking color combinations. With Japanese Quilted Blocks to Mix and Match, any quilter can create exquisite and unique works of patchwork art in the Japanese tradition. The book presents more than 125 different block patterns, each with complete instructions and a color photograph, representing a variety of pattern sources: kamon (family crests), Hakone yosegi (parquetry) and traditional textiles, such as kasuri weave. Each 9-inch block includes a full cutting guide and fabric palette; suggestions for use, either mixing and matching or adapting to an all-over design; and icons indicating techniques and skill level. The blocks on each spread are related in design and technique. In addition to the Block Directory, Japanese Quilted Blocks to Mix and Match features an Inspiration Gallery, showcasing examples of finished quilts from leading quilters. Using these examples, author Susan Briscoe explores such topics as color ideas from traditional Japanese textiles and quilts, motifs, and recommendations for combining fabric patterns and block designs. An extensive section on technique, as well as several pages about the fabrics themselves and a listing of suppliers and organizations make this volume as practical and informative as it is beautiful.
- Author BiographySusan Briscoe is a professional textile designer, author and teacher, specializing in sashiko and Japanese textile designs. Trained in England, an interest in Japanese design led her to Japan where she studied the tea ceremony, traditional textiles, kimono design and tailoring. Briscoe has designed textile projects for numerous publications and frequently gives demonstrations at quilt and textile shows. Her previous books include 21 Terrific Patchwork Bags (2003), The Ultimate Sashiko Sourcebook (2005) and 21 Sensational Patchwork Bags (2006). She currently resides in the UK.
- Author(s)Susan Briscoe
- Date of Publication01/03/2007
- SubjectHandicrafts, Arts & Crafts
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight667 g
- Width229 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine16 mm
- Format DetailsSewn,Paper over boards,With dust jacket
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.05
- AU $34.65Trending at AU $36.57
- AU $73.10Trending at AU $74.75
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.90
- AU $28.76Trending at AU $38.99
- AU $24.13Trending at AU $33.32
- AU $50.09Trending at AU $52.96
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.