All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWomen velists in India who 'use' English to write fiction are, increasingly, gaining international recognition for their work. Unfortunately, there is extensive literary history of such writers, as there is of feminist writers in the West. Existing resources are largely either outdated or limited in scope and range. Exploring the works of Flora Annie Steel, Rumer Godden, Krupabai Sattianadhan, Toru Dutt, Rokeya Sakhawat Hossain, Nayantara Sahgal, Kamala Markandaya, Anita Desai, Arundhati Roy, and Anita Nair, this book will cast new light on their technique of writing, selection of subject matter, and focus of interest. How did each writer differ from the other? What was their area of interest? How did their fiction change as the decades rolled by? What did they tell the reader about what it was like to live in the India they knew? Ambitious and informative, this literary survey will prove rewarding for students and scholars of Indian literature, English literature, comparative literature, and cultural studies.
- Author BiographyMargaret Paul Joseph is a writer, literary critic, and independent research scholar based in the USA. A Ph.D. in English Literature, Temple University, Philadelphia, USA, she teaches continuing education courses in English and American literature.
- Author(s)Margaret Paul Joseph
- PublisherOUP India
- Date of Publication13/11/2014
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Place of PublicationNew Delhi
- Country of PublicationIndia
- ImprintOUP India
- Weight384 g
- Width147 mm
- Height225 mm
- Spine21 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.69New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $74.22New
- AU $61.33Used
- AU $93.50New
- AU $101.60New
- AU $70.98New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.10
- AU $22.43Trending at AU $23.89
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $119.81
- AU $88.13Trending at AU $90.65
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.54
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $50.30
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $74.22
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.