All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA rich study exploring the connections, creative processes, and themes shared by two world- rewned artists At a crucial point midway through his career, American painter and printmaker Jasper Johns (b. 1930) looked to the art of Norwegian Expressionist Edvard Munch (1863-1944) for inspiration. Munch's invative working methods and defining themes of love, anxiety, illness, and death infused Johns's work with new meaning, allowing him a broadened range of expression that propelled his return to recognizable imagery after a decade of abstraction. This groundbreaking publication is the first to describe precisely how and when Johns began to explore Munch's imagery and ideas. At the same time, it takes a comprehensive view of each artist's career, giving readers a deeper understanding of Johns's connection to his predecessor. Through new scholarship and copious illustration, Ravenal makes the persuasive case that Munch should be considered one of the catalysts for the sea change that occurred in Johns's art of the early 1980s.
- Author BiographyJohn B. Ravenal is executive director of deCordova Sculpture Park and Museum in Lincoln, Massachusetts, and former Sydney and Frances Lewis Family Curator of Modern and Contemporary Art at Virginia Museum of Fine Arts.
- Author(s)John B. Ravenal
- PublisherYale University Press
- Date of Publication03/06/2016
- SubjectIndividual Artists / Art Monographs
- Place of PublicationNew Haven
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintYale University Press
- Content Note165 color illus.
- Weight1066 g
- Width241 mm
- Height280 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Format DetailsCloth over boards
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $189.94New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.27New
- AU $93.07Used
- AU $93.07New
- AU $101.13New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $73.88New
- AU $61.04Used
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $81.72
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.18
- AU $39.00Trending at AU $50.07
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $73.88
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.43
- AU $21.33Trending at AU $23.52
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.