All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMandolinists who wish to expand their improvisational vocabulary and spice up their rhythm accompaniment are invited to try some Jazz Mandolin Appetizers. This book and accompanying audio, prepared by chef Don Stiernberg, include a batch of etudes that address the challenges every improvising mandolinist faces. These include common issues such as selecting tes that sound good with chord progressions and finding them on the fretboard. In the first section, new melodies are presented for chord progressions that are often played at swing and jazz jam sessions. These tunes will benefit players of any style. Concepts are discussed at the beginning of each tune such as harmonic analysis and the effects of certain intervals (useful groups of tones). The tablature suggests fingerings for the melodies. The chordal section shows how chords and progressions can be made more interesting by adding color, tension and movement. Chord substitution is also demonstrated. Working through this section will prepare the player with commonly played progressions and will expand their chord voicing vocabulary up and down the neck. Lastly, a study of chord-melody style playing is presented. Playing the melody and harmony at the sametime yields full sounding solo arrangements. Don Stiernberg is a leading proponent of the jazz mandolin style. He has eight available recordings, performs coast to coast and abroad, writes a column for Mandolin Magazine and teaches at several mandolin events. Audio download available online.
- Author(s)Don Stiernberg
- PublisherMel Bay Publications, Inc.
- Date of Publication17/04/2015
- LanguageEnglish &
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMel Bay Publications, Inc.
- Weight159 g
- Width216 mm
- Height297 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $190.57New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.65New
- AU $93.38Used
- AU $93.38New
- AU $101.47New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $74.12New
- AU $61.25Used
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.00
- AU $87.90Trending at AU $90.54
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.44
- AU $39.02Trending at AU $50.24
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $74.12
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.80
- AU $21.33Trending at AU $23.60
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.