All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis collection explores eighteenth-century theories of international market competition that continue to be relevant for the twenty-first century. 'Jealousy of Trade' refers to a particular conjunction between politics and the ecomy that emerged when success in international trade became a matter of the military and political survival of nations. Today, it would be called 'ecomic nationalism', and in this book Istvan Hont connects the commercial politics of nationalism and globalization in the eighteenth century to theories of commercial society and Enlightenment ideas of the ecomic limits of politics. The book begins with an analysis of how the tion of 'commerce' was added to Hobbes' 'state of nature' by Samuel Pufendorf. Hont then considers British neo-Machiavellian political ecomy after the Glorious Revolution. From there he moves to a vel interpretation of the political ecomy of the Scottish Enlightenment, particularly of David Hume and Adam Smith, concluding with a conceptual history of nation-state and nationalism in the French Revolution. Jealousy of Trade combines political theory with intellectual history, illuminating the past but also considering the challenges of today.
- Author BiographyIstvan Hont is University Lecturer in the History of Political Thought at the University of Cambridge, and a Fellow of King's College, Cambridge.
- Author(s)Istvan Hont
- PublisherHarvard University Press
- Date of Publication01/02/2010
- SubjectEconomics: Professional & General
- Place of PublicationCambridge, Mass.
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintThe Belknap Press
- Content Note8 line illustrations
- Weight771 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine38 mm
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound,Trade paperback (US)
Best Selling in Non-Fiction Books
The 8-Week Blood Sugar Diet: Lose Weight Fast and Reprogramme Your Body for Life by Michael Mosley (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $19.43New
- AU $7.82Used
- AU $21.30New
Women Who Run with Wolves: Myths and Stories of the Wild Woman Archetype by Clarissa Pinkola Estes (Paperback, 1996)
- AU $14.09New
- AU $6.50Used
Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking: Be a Happy Non-smoker for the Rest of Your Life by Allen Carr (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $23.80New
- AU $11.17Used
- AU $20.04New
- AU $32.17New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.86Trending at AU $30.05
- AU $40.04Trending at AU $43.83
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $50.54
- AU $19.74Trending at AU $30.05
- AU $58.25Trending at AU $62.59
- AU $101.00Trending at AU $118.99
- AU $62.84Trending at AU $78.53
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.