All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe definitive survey of Jeff Koons's Hulk Elvis paintings, including an extensive interview with the artist in his studio. From the outset of his controversial career, Jeff Koons turned the traditional tion of the work of art and its context inside out. Focusing on unexpected yet banal objects as models for his work, he eschewed typical standards of good taste in art, instead embracing what he perceives as conventional middle-class values in order to expose the vulnerabilities of aesthetic hierarchies and value systems. Koons's declared strategies are to make art beautiful, to strive for objectivity, to give back the familiar, and to reflect, and thus empower, the viewer. The works of Koons's series Hulk Elvis burst with energy and precision yet mystify with their complex permutations and combinations of figurative and abstract elements. A charged mix of inflatable monkeys, geishas, birds, the Incredible Hulk, and the Liberty Bell jostle against realistically rendered landscapes, gestural paintings, steam engines and horse-drawn carriages, negative silhouettes, and underlying dot screens.
- Author BiographyJeff Koons's work has been widely exhibited internationally in solo and group exhibitions. Hans Ulrich Obrist has curated and co-curated over 200 solo and group exhibitions internationally since 1991.
- Author(s)Hans-Ulrich Obrist,Scott Rothkopf
- PublisherRizzoli International Publications
- Date of Publication01/01/2010
- SubjectThe Arts: General & Reference
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRizzoli International Publications
- Content Note89 Colour
- Weight2250 g
- Width310 mm
- Height278 mm
- Spine26 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.05Trending at AU $36.60
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.92
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $32.21Trending at AU $40.49
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.21
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $40.07
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $35.13
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.